“The year my father got my mother a hoover for Christmas 1984”
This photo from Mr-Irrelevance over on Reddit is extraordinary – can you imagine being so thougtless you’d give a gift this bad for Christmas?
Amazing photo. The body language; the upturned hoover; the “I’m drinking tea, the party is over” attitude; the FFS despair in her face – this tells a story as good as any Hogarth engraving.
If you’re on mobile pinch and zoom the pic and really have a look.
And here’s just a few of the comments it’s got on Reddit where it’s one of the most highly rated links in the last 24hrs:
- ‘When I was a kid my dad pulled something similar. Mom had been dropping hints for months that she wanted speakers in the kitchen. Christmas morning arrives and Dad gives Mom her big present! I remember her saying “oh I wonder what this is!?” with a big smile on her face as she began to open it. When she realized what it really was the smile faded and the twinkle was gone from her eyes. Instead of speakers dad had gotten her a fucking ironing board. She looked at him hoping it was a joke but no…Dad was really that stupid. The next day Dad went out and bought some really expensive speakers’, says foxpoint
- “Is this a photo of the crime scene? Where’s the chalk outline of your dad’s body?”, says cj8317
- “Pro-tip: If a new household item is needed, label it as a present to both of you from Santa, in amongst more personal gifts”, writes delusionsofgrandad
- “In the early 80’s, my father got my mother a rowing style exercise machine. Similar reaction”, notes Illipid
- ‘From the unopened presents still under the tree, after the vacuum was unwrapped, this picture just screams. “Nope, that’s it. Christmas is over”‘, says Autonomoose