T-Shirt Of The Week > Get One Here 10678640_799754660064829_4742930850410394747_n

• morrissey

Meat is murder…. tasty, tasty murder!

December 29, 2013 at 9:03 am
  • kyle

to be quite honest. so what OH NO A VEGAN CANT LAUGH AT THEMSELVES. grow the hell up. black people started saying nigga as a term of friendship even though the word itself was never anything but demeaning. so to this i have to say. all i ever hear from 80% of you sensative pro animal enthusiasts is this. dont eat meat. lsten to me tell you what not to do. listen to me tell you how wrong your meat eating beliefs are. listen to me get defensive when you do the same thing to me. get over it your vegan. props. im not. but thats as far as that goes. if this person seen humor in their sign then who the fuck are you to say otherwise? and i would assume a vegan would never be seen at a restaurant like that in the first place. so is this sign even affecting your day? no.it isnt. and if it is you probably shouldn’t tell anyone your vegan ever again because a picture on the internet of a meat eater acting self righteous like all vegans ever are, somehow managed to offend you. which means you feel very insecure about your own beliefs. grow up and accept yourself. we all have. humor is a sign of good will. just because you have no sense of humor doesn’t make this person a douche. in summary. its ok to be a meat eater….said no vegan ever. yet us meat eaters generally leave vegans alone because you arent taking no food off our plates.

December 29, 2013 at 10:05 am
  • Hannah

December 29, 2013 at 10:14 am
  • lorri

Do you like to see cows and sheep in the fields? Like to watch little lambs jumping around in the springtime? If we stopped eating meat then there would be none of that. These animals are bred to be eaten, no farmer would keep them if they didn’t make money. Wise up and realise that meat eaters aren’t savages, we are eating the food that gives us protein and other nutrients that humans NEED to live a healthy life and obviously a sense of humour :p x

December 29, 2013 at 10:23 am
  • Chris

Brilliant. Makes no difference if you eat meat or not it’s all about a balanced diet and life. Might not make everyone laugh but it did me, especially when you find out where the statement came from and those moaing about it can’t see the irony

December 29, 2013 at 10:26 am
  • Jnr Shabado

First – Roderick…. well in lad, very funny!

Second – Too much meat leads to many of the diseases that vegans campaign against. A small portion each day, lean, grilled, no worries. Moderation yeah? Too much of anything will give you turbo organ disease or whatever the flavour of the month is.

Third – Ugh im not going full keyboard warrior here and finding the link but a study showed for some food groups / nutrients that vegan life style tries to replicate with non-meat alternatives often damages the planet further than just killing a cow and processing it. This is due to the amounts of crops required and often needing to introduce foreign plant species to an environment that can’t handle them, just so vegans can kill food that doesn’t look them in the eye.

December 29, 2013 at 10:27 am
  • patas68

just wait that the hc straight edge vegans go to your shop ;)

December 29, 2013 at 10:52 am
  • Greg

What I find interesting is all the people who assume the butcher is male.
    I guess it fits the stereotype that all male are meat-eating, animal killing “gorillas”.
    I think the butcher was just trying to get a laugh, however, vegans may take offense to the butcher poking fun at them.

I eat meat, and am therefore an “animal killer”, however everyone who commented “he” for the butcher is sexist. Women eat meat also. May he ( or she) who is without sin cast the first stone.

December 29, 2013 at 1:32 pm
  • Cudel

“Forth – its a joke, support local business. Big multi-nationals are doing more damage than this lad’s little shop front”

This —-^

December 29, 2013 at 2:44 pm
  • kaylasdad99

Funny sign, but mystifying, in a way. I find myself wanting some backstory: is the butcher’s store losing business due to activities of local vegans?

Hannah (above) has a point: is their choice of foods adversely affecting him?

December 29, 2013 at 3:42 pm
  • rob

I guess when you are raised to be reprehensibly cruel to other living things it becomes important to rationalize the pain you cause others in order to justify what you are.
    Of course you need to poke fun at those who care beyond their own self serving interests, because you are dead in side, and frankly better you than me. Enjoy being a monster, it is who you are but never think you are better than a vegan it is not in anyway possible.

December 29, 2013 at 3:47 pm
  • June

Meat eating is learned behavior, it is a kin to religion by the fact that the majority of people were told what to think and eat and never possessed the mental faculty to question it. Nobody needs to eat meat in order to sustain life, this is well documented and considered common conventional wisdom as long as you don’t live under a rock, so what it boils down to is the choice to be purposely cruel out of convenience. I hope the butchers business fails, he is a complete jack ass and a coward for picking a fight with the a minority group for no discernible reason other than to commit another act of unkindness which basically is the only thing he and his business are about.

December 29, 2013 at 4:10 pm
  • tom

@Rob: Reprehensibly cruel to other living beings? Not at all. I don’t go out of my way to kill and devour every cow, sheep, pig, and chicken I see. My Lab eats better than I do some days.

But I enjoy *THE HECK* out of a good steak, omelette, or cut of bacon as part of a balanced diet.

The question is, where do you draw the line? Because one way of looking at it says that chicken eggs are a form of abortion, and that eating fish is wrong because they’re alive. And one view is that there’s a reason beef/chicken/fish/pork is tasty. I’ve met pigs that had personalities. I thanked them for their service, and that they gave their lives that I could eat. But I don’t mourn pigs. It’s like the scene from Hitchhiker’s Guide. “Something off the shoulder, perhaps? Braised in white wine sauce?”

December 29, 2013 at 5:13 pm
  • Margie

Isn’t written speech displayed and intended to marginalize a portion of the population not considered hate speech and therefore is in violation of Canadian law?

December 29, 2013 at 5:53 pm
  • karla

May I just say, that this is completely stupid. I am vegan and i have never told people not to eat meat in my life. Yet I am constantly being told by meat eaters that I should be eating meat or that I have food like meat because that’s what I want. Those of you on this site whom have said that you are better off eating meat are talking bull. It is a well known fact that vegan diets are healthier than a carnivorous diet ( even if purely from the diabetes front), would you tell a gorilla that he is a pussy for eating vegetation? ( no, because he could probably kick your arse).
    Another point I would like to make is, if every person in the world became vegetarian, we would have enough space and enough food to feed everyone on the planet, along with this the dangerous amounts of methane and co2 given off by cattle and other farm animals would be eradicated.
    Lastly I would like to say, there is nothing wrong from any perspective to eating meat as long as the animal has been treated fairly (i,e- given the highest standards of welfare and not battery raised). I beleive that if you want meat you should be able to know where your animal has been raised, in what conditions and as to how humanely it has been killed. If you do not want to do this then I am afraid you should not be eating meat anyway because you do not deserve it.
    This also goes for anyone who tells me they cannot afford free range ( can’t afford it don’t eat it) simple!!!!!!

December 29, 2013 at 6:21 pm
  • blabla

Well, I’m vegan and I actually thought this was pretty hilarious. I don’t really see why he had to write this, or why some vegans find it necessary to annoy meat-eaters with their viewpoint. I honestly never tell meat-eaters what they’re doing is wrong, but they ALWAYS tell me how wrong MY lifestyle is. I always laugh and explain to them that it doesn’t matter what they think: I believe what and live how I want. I value their opinion, but nothing more than that. Why can’t everyone just accept each other’s way of life? I don’t like it when people eat animals, but it’s not my business… my meddling won’t stop them from doing it: It would rather encourage them, just to spite me. So I let them be and hope for the best. Calm down, everyone.

December 29, 2013 at 6:54 pm
  • kyle

pretty sure science says there are nutrients and healthy reasons to eat meat. as well as unhealthy ones. pretty sure if i eat some plants i flat out die. pretty sure animal cruelty is shameful. but im also pretty sure there are roughly 6 billion people who need to eat. the majority of which have said i like meat. also its not about the taste and flavor. its about the nutritional value.

Vegans, compared with omnivores, consume substantially greater quantities of fruit and vegetables . A higher consumption of fruit and vegetables, which are rich in fiber, folic acid, antioxidants, and phytochemicals, is associated with lower blood cholesterol concentrations , a lower incidence of stroke, and a lower risk of mortality from stroke and ischemic heart disease . Vegans also have a higher consumption of whole grains, soy, and nuts , all of which provide significant cardioprotective effects . in summary it isn’t because you don’t eat meat. its because you eat more of the other foods. so if i chose to eat fruit with every meal today. i could be as healthy as you. in fact this goes to show that you choose to neglect some nutrients without taking a supplement or something. but it in no way says you don’t eat meat thus you are healthy. it says eat more fruit and veg in order to be healthy. sounds like since im an omnivore i can eat more fruit….i love being a human.

December 29, 2013 at 7:13 pm
  • Michele Hance

You I You You forgot we are better looking.

December 29, 2013 at 8:25 pm
  • Maria

This was actually a joke told by stand up vegan comedian Myq Kaplan. So, put on your big kid hats and calm down. http://i.imgur.com/1Pu2IUf.jpg

December 29, 2013 at 8:55 pm
  • Altbob

Bob on December 29, 2013 at 3:47 pm said:

WOW arrogant much?

December 29, 2013 at 10:27 pm
  • NickRyan

I used to be vegan, and when I was I definitely saw more of this than I did vegans pushing their beliefs on others – that is, people poking fun at vegans which often led to argument, which inevitably ended in the accusation that vegans either can’t take a joke, or are ALWAYS SOOO pushy about their lifestyle choice. It is not just a dietary alternative, it is a very serious issue in the eyes of certain people and honestly poking fun at it is akin to racism or religion bashing, no matter what you believe. For vegans, taking a joke lightly about it is just like putting up these things.

December 30, 2013 at 2:12 am
  • Mitchel Street

Hey June, don’t be afraid. I’ve got meat you’ll love crammed down your throat.

December 30, 2013 at 3:49 am
  • Veggie Man

I have been a vegetarian my entire life. I am healthier then most people I know. But this is NOT because I do not eat meat, it is because I try hard to eat a balanced diet, maintain my nutrient levels and stay active. There is no RIGHT diet, it is all about balance…. Many people eat meat and are healthy. Many people are vegan and veggies and are healthy. All the vegans and veggies on here preaching about how “meat is murder”, “we will live longer”, “blah blah blah”…. From one veggie to another, shut up! This sign is funny! Remember The Simpsons “you don’t make friends with salad”? That s#it is funny! Learn to laugh at yourselves!

December 30, 2013 at 4:28 am
  • academicjock

WHY do we eat pigs and not puppies? It is because one is no full of delicious bacon! num num num num num

December 30, 2013 at 6:48 am
  • yawning

this sort of nonsense is laughable. meat eaters should be glad there are vegetarians and vegans, because the meat industry wouldn’t be able to cope with the demand if all those people went back to eating meat. it’s already pumping the animals full of antibiotics and causing ever more resilient superbugs. never mind the amount of land, water and other resources being used to prop up this outdated industry. if people had to kill the animal themselves, there would be a huge decline in meat eating. never mind that all carnivores have short intestines so as not to have cancerous decaying meat in their systems, and we, erm, don’t have short intestines. meat eaters bang on about vegetarians a lot more than vice versa. it’s hardly surprising such a tiresome bunch of jeremy clarkson wannabes have nothing better to do than to take offence at the fact that someone else made a grown up choice about what they want to eat. yawn yawn yawn. next!

December 30, 2013 at 10:00 pm
  • Leroy

I am not a Vegan or Vegetarian but I am sure all the animals I eat are.

December 30, 2013 at 10:27 pm
  • B

This is good advertising. Why would a vegan be looking in a butcher shop anyway?

December 31, 2013 at 12:17 am
  • Brandy

Possibility as to why us meat eaters could care less what someone chooses to eat, v.s. the OBSESSIVE need to take the right of eating meat away that so may vegans have: Studies have shown that there is a VERY VERY strong link between OCD (OBSESSIVE Compulsive Disorder) to humans who do not get enough animal protein in their diet. This can vary person to person and in some cases meat eaters will develop OCD based on just not having enough for their particular genetic need of animal protein, however vegans are not getting any animal protein at all; and YES there is a difference in vegetable protein and animal protein. This study was actually a study to determine why some people tend to develop eating disorders over other people who do not. The study found that 85% of people who have eating disorders are either vegan or vegetarian. Eating disorders have previously been linked to OCD and OCD has previously been linked to a lack, or severely insufficient, amount of animal protein in a persons diet. Hence the connection of vegan/vegitarian and OCD. Then… OCD can lead to OCPD (Obsessive Compulsive PERSONALITY Disorder): where OCD generally manifests itself in routines/ritualistic lifestyles (varying in degrees) within the individual, OCPD is when a person now projects their beliefs/lifestyle onto others (they begin to feel that EVERYONE MUST believe and live as they do –> their way is the right way). So, where us meat eaters are layed back and could care less if others eat or don’t eat meat. As the vegan becomes more and more OCD/OCPD they begin to feel that it is their job to enact law to ban you from eating meat; as they feel it is wrong, and so should you. OK DONE WITH LECTURE/RANT. :P

December 31, 2013 at 10:08 am
  • Lance

Y’all muthafuckas need Jesus.

December 31, 2013 at 2:26 pm
  • ron

I am (mostly) vegan and I have a sense of humour, thanks very much. But I also have a science degree, am fairly well travelled, and have studied food issues and sustainability. With that in mind, I think that some of the comments here suggest a chronic lack of knowledge, understanding, or compassion on the part of those posting them. I’m not going to try to convert you, but I would be very happy if you actually do spend some time thinking about this a bit more sensibly. And if you eat fewer animals as a result, well that’s great.

I think that using ‘pro-animal’ in a vaguely derogatory sense is a bit strange. I like animals and I feel sad for anyone that doesn’t, but that’s not my main reason for not eating them.

I don’t go around trying to convert people and I know a lot of people who are vegetarian or vegan and I don’t know any that do actively go around trying to convert others (by the way, how many do you actually know?). However, yes, I think we all have the right to get defensive when our belief systems are questioned. And yes, choosing not to eat meat is often a question of belief, sometimes because of belief in Hindu or Buddhist values of Ahimsa, or Rastafarian values of Ital, or – as in my case – a purely Atheist belief in ethics and scientific fact, along with the strength of conviction and moral fortitude to act on principle and altruistically.

So, humourous as this sign might be, I think you’re on shaky ground trying to support people putting up signs in public places that ridicule other people’s belief systems.

For the record, my reasons for not eating animals are:

Sustainability – fewer emissions, less land use, less water use, less energy use. Monocropping, land degradation, the destruction of forests, etc are all directly linked to the meat industry. For those of you that think that growing soya or whatever is responsible for all these things too, then maybe you should consider that 90% of all soya production goes to feed livestock rather than people. Approximately six percent of soybeans are used directly as human food, mostly in Asia (here’s my source for that – http://www.soyatech.com/soy_facts.htm). At any one time, there are approximately 10 billion livestock animals on the planet. That’s roughly 50% more of them than there are of us. What do you think they all eat? And how much more food for human consumption do you think we could produce if we substantially reduced that number? Have you even considered that almost a billion (one in eight people) on the planet right now are chronically malnourised, and that feeding them the grain that is fed to animals that are mainly eaten in the developed world might actually be an easy way to eliminate world hunger? (see this: http://www.news.cornell.edu/stories/1997/08/us-could-feed-800-million-people-grain-livestock-eat)

I suggest also reading this:
    or this:

Equity – already partly covered above, because sustainability and equity are inextricably linked, I think. People in developed countries eat around 20-30 times more meat on average than those in non-developed countries. If the rest of you cut down on the amount of meat you eat, maybe people like me wouldn’t need, or feel the need, to limit their use of animal products so severely.

Ethics – and yes, this is where animal welfare also comes in. Apart from the ethics of trying to live sustainably and in equity with the other inhabitants of the planet (human or otherwise), the meat and dairy industry is entirely reliant upon the subjugation, mistreatment, and ultimately the slaughter, of other sentient animals. If you really think that makes the world a better place then all that meat you’ve been eating has obviously not done much for your ability to think empathetically.

So, those are my reasons for not eating animals. What are your reasons for eating them again? They taste nice? Is that it? Health reasons? Seriously? http://healthland.time.com/2013/06/04/vegetarians-may-live-longer/

Brandy – I’d love to read a peer-reviewed article on the link between OCD and vegetarianism but haven’t been able to find one anywhere. What’s the source please?

December 31, 2013 at 3:42 pm
  • this is stupid

December 31, 2013 at 6:03 pm
  • Pinche Gringo

“Mitchel Street on December 30, 2013 at 3:49 am said:

Hey June, don’t be afraid. I’ve got meat you’ll love crammed down your throat. ”

Yeah – like something that size would even make it past anyone’s teeth. Dream on pencil d—k…

January 1, 2014 at 1:09 pm
  • Harkannin

One can judge the compassion and humanity of a society by the way it treats its animals. And if you’re okay with eating pig, you should also be okay with eating cat, dog, and horse. Otherwise you’re a hypocrite.
    “The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look on the murder of men.” -Leonardo da Vinci
    “For as long as people continue to be the ruthless destroyer of lower living beings, they will never know health or peace. For as long as people massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seeds of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love.” -Pythagoras

January 1, 2014 at 4:12 pm
  • Pinche Gringo

“this is stupid on December 31, 2013 at 6:03 pm said:

Wow this is dumb that vegans have to tell me over and over how much animals go through and how bad meat is. clearly i dont give a fuck and nor do the other people we like meat and you dont, get over it pussies”

Your screen name is one of the most fitting I’ve seen in a long time. You can’t use punctuation, you don’t have a clue how to string a simple sentence together, and your debating skills are just shy of a three day old dog turd’s. Nice try. Fail.

January 2, 2014 at 7:35 am
  • Pinche Gringo

Brandy – please stop making things up to win an argument.

January 2, 2014 at 7:40 am
  • Pinche Gringo

“B on December 31, 2013 at 12:17 am said:
    Eating a vegan diet is no more healthier for the planet or ourselves. Look into how your soy, wheat, corn, legumes, and veg are farmed. When you know a little about where your food comes from… Vegan or non…. Than try to have an educated opinion about it.”

Wow – the stupidity is strong with this one…

January 2, 2014 at 7:42 am
  • Pinche Gringo

“Hannah on December 29, 2013 at 10:14 am said:
    Isn’t it weird how much we can get upset about the eating-style/life-style of others? Why do people bother so much?”

Couldn’t be because some people actually care about the suffering inflicted on billions of food animals rather than blindly shoveling anything and everything into their faces, could it? Nah, you’re probably right.

January 2, 2014 at 7:54 am
  • Pinche Gringo

“lorri on December 29, 2013 at 10:23 am said:
    Do you like to see cows and sheep in the fields? Like to watch little lambs jumping around in the springtime? If we stopped eating meat then there would be none of that.”

So, let me get this straight. Vegans should be thinking more about how pretty the animals make the countryside look than the unimaginable suffering they endure from birth to slaughter? You’re a special kind of stupid, aren’t you?

January 2, 2014 at 8:01 am
  • Jasmine

Seeing as veganism is fairly rare, where are all of these ‘OBSESSIVE’ vegans all of you seem to know? Trying to take ‘your right to eat meat away’? It sounds a bit like an insecurity based in your subconscious knowledge that paying someone to take away something’s ‘right to live’ might not be such a virtuous human right.

Eat what you want, if you know what it is. And you don’t have to shout in paragraphs about what crazy control freaks us vegans are, if you’re still going to stereotype us as hippies. Because that’s a big contradiction..

January 2, 2014 at 1:20 pm
  • smug vegan

I must have imagined that amazing party I was invited to on NYE, probably hallucinating through lack of protein or something. A sense of humour is a very subjective thing. For me, the sight of meat-munching morons dropping because of diet related illness always makes me chuckle. So, keep eating those disease ridden hormone filled carcasses and secretions if you want.. the animals will have their revenge.

January 2, 2014 at 8:23 pm
  • Rizz

So when a butcher puts a sign up taking the piss out of vegans It’s funny and no one should be offended; but when someone says they’re a vegan they’re being self righteous?

Seriously, I see more self righteous meat eaters on the internet than vegans, as if they feel it’s their duty to mock vegans for not eating meat and tell them how inferior they are because of it

January 3, 2014 at 11:52 am
  • jeff

January 3, 2014 at 12:45 pm
  • Carel

‘A man who eats meat wants to get his teeth into something. A man who does not eat meat wants to get his teeth into something else. If these thoughts interest you for even a moment, you are lost.’ (Leonard Cohen)

January 3, 2014 at 8:41 pm
  • Pinche Gringo

“jeff on January 3, 2014 at 12:45 pm said:
    No such thing as a Vegan by its own definition. Don’t believe me, look up the definition of Vegan then look up the definition of animal. It’s impossible to go through life without consuming any living thing that is not human or plant.”

No reasonable vegan ever claims otherwise. It’s the fact that they try to avoid being the cause of any harm to another living creature that makes their decision all the more noble, not whether they’re 100% successful in the eyes of those who don’t even make the effort in the first place. Instead of nitpicking, you might want to take a second to look beyond dictionary definitions.

January 4, 2014 at 9:50 am
  • Roy

SOMEONE is harboring deep seated feelings of guilt for their mindless carnivorousness…

January 4, 2014 at 7:21 pm
  • jane

I love food based humour… As a vegan I can laugh at the traumatised spud looking at the packet of french fries….
    Sign is funny … am making dam sure tears don’t fall in my drink now!

January 4, 2014 at 11:58 pm
  • mally

i`ve been veggie for 30 years. eat what you want. live how you want. and stop tying to improve you business by being a knob.

January 17, 2014 at 7:33 pm