Showbiz News: The entertainment industry is reeling in shock after the police have begun an investigation into claims that Rod Hull abused animals during the 1970’s and 80’s.

The inquiry was set in motion after allegations recently surfaced that popular entertainer Rod Hull, who died in 1999, systematically abused a large flightless bird that he appeared on TV with.

The earliest allegations go back to his appearance on the 1972 Royal Variety Performance, when he was reportedly seen putting his hand up the bird in a ‘highly inappropriate fashion’.

“He was without any sense of shame,” said one witness who asked to remain anonymous. “He and the bird where backstage, surrounded by other performers and stage crew. Then he just rolled up his sleeve and put his arm directly into that poor bird, right in front of everyone.”

In 1985 Hull travelled to America where he appeared on The Tonight Show. A relative of host Johnny Carson alleges he saw Hull abusing the bird – which, when later interviewed, seemed ‘confused and aggressive’ towards Hull and Carson.

“It’s simply shocking that just because someone has a high public profile they can get away with decades of this kind of blatantly obvious animal abuse,” said a spokesman for Sussex police.

Story: Simon Swatman

Next >> 15 Amazing Halloween Costume Ideas

• Toad Hall

Don’t want to be a prude, but the Jimmy Saville thing is pretty serious, child abuse is much worse in this country than most people realise. There are a huge number of ladies who were too scared to come forward and say they have been raped or molested and lived with that for up-to 50 years. Pretty disgusting in my view. Maybe a bit too early to joke about it.

October 12, 2012 at 8:59 am
  • Jemmo

Can I suggest the headline:

FIDDLER ON THE ROOF

October 12, 2012 at 9:06 am
  • Per Ardua

“A bit to early to joke about it”. Perhaps I was unaware of a ‘statute of limitations’ regulating how long post-event that jokes are permitted? In Savile’s case it would seem to be about 30 years.

October 12, 2012 at 9:27 am
  • Queenie

I completely agree with Toad Hall,please take this down…I LOVE the poke but y’all don’t need to do this… it’s not worth it…

October 12, 2012 at 10:08 am
  • Queenie

@ per adua, see? not funny… systemic sexual molestation of children linked with murder and torture in children’s homes of a very famous popular children’s tv presenter is maybe one thing to lay off… the people still need to testify and be heard… let’s not mock their pain… there are enough people deserving of it… It’s okay to be sensitive to innocent people who have been treated so cruelly.. It’s okay to stay classy…

October 12, 2012 at 10:17 am
  • Barnfowl

Emu did get his revenge though. Contracting Grotbags to carry out a fly-by was a master stroke. I think we all know how that ended……

October 12, 2012 at 12:22 pm
  • Steve

Queenie and Toad Hall – IT’S JUST A JOKE! Sites like this were set up so people had somewhere to go to get away from people like you.

October 12, 2012 at 12:55 pm
  • Per Ardua

Queenie – the time to ‘testify’ or ‘be heard’ was 10, 20 or 30 years ago when the man they accuse was alive. With his death and inability to defend himself, accusations is all they ever can be. There isn’t anything ‘classy’ in a post-mortem kangaroo (keeping with the Emu theme) court.

October 12, 2012 at 1:19 pm
  • MalcF

And what about Keith Harris and that underage Orville?

October 12, 2012 at 1:32 pm
  • don stewart

I am still waiting for the Rolf Harris “Marsupial Bondage Scandal” to break…

October 12, 2012 at 1:34 pm
  • Per Ardua

The clues are all there; “keep me cockatoo cool” [obvious coded message] and “tan me hide when I’m dead” [.. and while I'm very much alive as well, no doubt!].

October 12, 2012 at 1:42 pm
  • Pete Lawson

What sickens me is that people around Hull must have known what was going on and perhaps even colluded in his sordid activities. When I was 12 I appeared on Crackerjack with Hull’s close friend, Leslie Crowther and, although admittedly nothing happened, he looked at me in a funny way, as if to say “I like boys”. Also, I’ve never trusted that Crankie bloke (another Hull crony) who hangs around with the schoolboy; I bet he does more than help with his geography. homework.
    Well done to the Poke for exposing this shameful story.

October 14, 2012 at 1:34 pm
  • DrBob

Its called satire.. and bloody good it is too..

October 15, 2012 at 9:26 pm