Jon Ronson arranges a meeting with the creators of the twitter spambot ‘Jon_Ronson’. After some heated discussion and confusion in this interview, he discovers the academics’ true agenda. Watch all of this….

• ralph harris

What a trio of arseholes. Especially the one in the middle. King size smug dickhead.

March 23, 2012 at 3:01 pm
  • Jonny pigg

I agree, arseholes. I hope there’s one almighty hacking heading their way.

March 23, 2012 at 4:50 pm
  • GC72

Disingenuous, patronising, aggressive, smug. And not very good at it; love the bit where they squirm out of admitting that they’ve used his photo.

March 23, 2012 at 5:07 pm
  • Jon Ronson

They don’t get it because no has or ever will want to imitate them. Apart maybe to hack their bank accounts. I wonder how they’d like it if their bank spoke to them in this manner under those circumstances. Anyway, moral of the story, always be yourself.

Best regards,
    Jon Ronson

March 23, 2012 at 5:36 pm
  • Carl

I tell you what. They’ve definitely made me think again about the whole bank collapse thing.

March 23, 2012 at 7:43 pm
  • Terry Lander

Fake Twitter accounts are a form of ‘passing off’. If you try and create a company that makes computers, call it ‘Bell’ and use a version of their logo, it’s trying to take customers away from a well respected brand by imitating them.

This is very similar and I believe should be governed in the same way. If you pretend to be Jon Ronson by using his name and image, then tweet using that information then you are trying to do the same thing. They didn’t answer their point very well at all and, although I know Twitter has big problems with spammers and fake accounts, they should take it down for these reasons.

March 23, 2012 at 7:45 pm
  • Jon_Ronson

This video almost made me spit out my celeriac soup. Excellent work.

March 23, 2012 at 7:46 pm
  • Jesus Christ Supertwat

These are academics? F**king twats spouting their post-modern bulls**t treating everyone as if they were stupid. “it’s not us it’s the robot” – you made the “robot” you twat. So take responsibility. You told it what to do i.e. steal someones identity by pretending to be them (with their photo) and deceiving people, the aim being to promote their site I imagine and get a few adsense clicks or whatever. Pathetic pretentious creatures.

March 23, 2012 at 9:31 pm
  • guy

Dan O’Hara shows no compassion or concern that he has exploited someone else, claiming intellectual crap as his excuse for denying to himself his trolling abuse.

March 23, 2012 at 11:32 pm
  • fluffcat

turds.. Jon should of jumped over and pushed his thumbs in the middle ones eye, while the other smug nerds cry

March 23, 2012 at 11:42 pm
  • Stevey ShinyShoe

If I were Jon i’d have filmed three other guys, presented them as these, then would have gone on to appear to have won the argument with them. they would then crown me king.

March 24, 2012 at 12:02 am
  • rolaaand

‘Layer of artifice’? What a *unt. I’m sure I used to beat him up as a grown man and will no doubt do it again. It’s the only way they will ‘learn’

March 24, 2012 at 12:19 am
  • Richard

Dear University of Cologne,

Your idiot has escaped.

Mit besten Gruessen aus England
    R

March 24, 2012 at 12:19 am
  • Me

What a smug bunch of c@#ts.

March 24, 2012 at 12:24 am
  • Paul

Oh dear…The algorythm bit towards the end starts to add value, but why pick on Jon, who, much as I love his work, is a minor celebrity and normal person and mis-represent him?

What horrible people.

Beyond that, what “Wall Street algorythm” are they trying to expose? On Twitter?! Fannies. Grow up.

March 24, 2012 at 12:31 am
  • Lishui

Fascinating. I thought these three were a pack of jerks until I saw the larger picture and then it all got a context for me.

Monkeysphere at work: a million children starve to death every year. So what? Hey! I got shortchanged on my dry cleaning! SONSOFBITCHES!!!!!!

March 24, 2012 at 12:38 am
  • Axel

Nonsensical, overblown, inarticualate wank. Gat a life, do something worthwhile and leave Jon alone. Especially the chap on the right, you were particularly annoying.

March 24, 2012 at 1:01 am
  • Brainz

It’s a shame that Jon Ronson can’t argue for shit. The whole thing sounded like a special kid that had had his toy taken away by bullies trying to argue for it back. The first 2 bell ends were intent on trying to”outsmart” him with some rhetorical bullshit and that’s their way of asserting dominance. The fact that Jon sounds a bit like he was on day release from his home makes it even worse.

I would gave turn

March 24, 2012 at 8:25 am
  • Brainz

I would have torn these pricks a new arsehole.

March 24, 2012 at 8:25 am
  • Red68

Dear Gods, I pity their poor students. Tied up in academic psycho-babble. Do they even have a point? And if they do I’m not sure they are illustrating it in the bests way. Idiots.

March 24, 2012 at 9:29 am
  • simsyl

Well its interesting that the man in the suit on the left which created this project is literally mute the entire time. I like how is supervisor is controlling the discussion and holding an authoritative role. There is also a layer of class and intellectual elitism that is not addressed. Man in the middle if you want to explain algorithms and derivitatvies then you should explain it without being a pedantic dick!

March 24, 2012 at 5:57 pm
  • Maree Kimberley

After having watched this, I now believe in aliens. Those 3 must have come from a parallel universe, surely.

March 25, 2012 at 11:53 am
  • Brendan johnson

Try setting up an account as Rupert Murdoch or Obama and see how long your spineless, pretentious, pseudo-intellectual crap lasts. Wankers.

March 25, 2012 at 12:05 pm
  • Matt Whitby

What a bunch of astonishingly smug pseudo-intellectuals.

March 25, 2012 at 1:42 pm
  • Kora Nucci

The University of Cologne hosts a summit on identity theft: http://www.ksta.de/html/artikel/1332436857155.shtml. Jon, you should really get them to show your video!

March 26, 2012 at 4:48 pm
  • Laurie Pink

They’re loving every second of that attention they’re getting. EVERY second. They live to be hated, because it confirms their Intellectual Superiority.
    Honestly, if I was the uni employing the one in the middle, I’d fire him. He’s teaching because he likes the power.

March 29, 2012 at 2:14 pm